Friday, April 13, 2018

Make Your Own Planting Pots


Yes, peat pots that you buy at the store are not expensive, but why buy them when you can make them so easily? Here is how...
You will need:
Kraft Paper (or brown paper bags if you have extra)
School Glue or paste
Ruler
Cutting mat (optional)
Scissors or rotary cutter
Bottle to shape pot - I use a slender vinegar bottle
Crayon or Felt Tip Marker

I cut the paper 10" long by 6.5" and can make three pots from one 6.5" length of Kraft paper.

Then fold the paper back about .5" along the length of one side of the 10" paper. This will be the top of the pot. 

Time to label if you know what you are planting already (easier to do than after the pot is made).

Now wrap the paper around the bottle and paste together. 

After the edge has dried a bit, paste the bottom of the pot as above around the bottle.

Then press the bottom on a hard surface.

The bottom should look similar to this when dry.

Make lots.... I soak my seeds and let them begin to sprout with a moist paper towel to cover them. Just like second grade! Then add soil to the pots, water if dry and let stand awhile before adding the sprouted seeds. 

Watch your plants grow! Plant pots and all, and watch them grow some more.

Here they are in the garden. And the pots disappear over the season. I usually start my Sweet Peas on Valentine's Day. Now I need to make more for my Sunflowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment